Boots has taken its Advantage Card digital so that shoppers can collect and spend their loyalty points straight from their mobile phones.
The loyalty scheme is now part of the Boots App, with the result that customers can scan to collect points, spend them in store and check their points total straight from their mobile phone. At the same time they can use personalised offers from the Boots app. Most (90%) of Boots customers will already have their app updated, since they enable auto-updates, but the remaining 10% will be prompted to update theirs.
Helen Normoyle, marketing director at Boots UK, said: “We are continuing to build on the phenomenal success of the Boots Advantage Card. Digitising the card makes it more flexible and available, and gives customers more opportunities to tailor and personalise offers, making their shop even more rewarding.”
The Boots Advantage Card was launched in 1997, and now has 17.1m active members. The news that it has been digitised is one of a number of initiatives that the retailer, which is ranked Leading in IRUK Top500 research, is currently introducing as it looks to make shopping at Boots more personalised and relevant to its customers. It is to run in-store marketing along with a competition that offers points as prizes when shoppers use the Boots Advantage Card on their phone.
Boots UK is the UK’s largest pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer and part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance. It has 2,485 stores in the UK, offering pharmacy and healthcare services alongside a wide range of beauty products and medicines.
News of the loyalty upgrade comes soon after Boots’ latest figures showed 200,000 customers ditching their Advantage Card over the last financial year, a year that also saw sales fall.
Image courtesy of Boots