WEBINAR OVERVIEW It's a cross device world
In a recent Internet Retailing webinar, It's a cross device world, how to navigate mobile marketing's next big opportunity, we heard from Thomas Jeanjean, regional managing director EMEA – mid-market, Criteo, in a session on marketing to the consumer as they move across shopping channels. Here's a bulletpoint overview of the webinar.
• Speaker: Thomas Jeanjean, regional managing director EMEA – mid-market, Criteo
• Personalised advertising specialist Criteo works with more than 16,000 publishers in 130 countries and reaches 1.1bn internet users a month, on behalf of more than 10,000 advertisers.
• Jeanjean showed how the Criteo technology works with an example of a retargeting campaign across the consumer journey, in which the shopper moves from the client's website to a third party publisher and to Facebook, seeing adverts for the item they browsed along the way. The prediction and recommendation engine handles an average of 15m requests a second.
The factors changing marketing
• Poll: Have you bought something on your mobile? 84% Yes, 16% No.
• 2.5m people in the UK buy products and services on their mobile every day.
• "Today's consumers are driving a really big shift in ecommerce. I think it's super important to understand why this is taking place, and then we can invest in technologies to maximise the opportunity that is coming through the mobile and ecommerce sector."
• New devices are changing the way the consumer experiences online shopping. Organisations need to adapt rapidly.
• Wearable devices offer granular data for m-commerce.
• Mobile payments set to reduce the use of cash and cards.
• "These trends are a challenge but also a huge opportunity for marketers."
• Millenials will want everything on demand.
• They may have grown up with digital, but Gen Z have never known anything else.
• Ovum chart shows differentces in what boomers, Gen X, millennials and Gen Z want from the customer experience and technology.
The changing path to purchase
• Sales have moved from a purchase funnel to a purchase pretzel that is no longer linear.
• Cross-device purchasing now makes up 50% of all ecommerce, and 40% of UK ecommerce, 60% in Russia and still more in Asia.
• But less than a third of marketers can use customer data across devices and platforms effectively.Poll: How many devices do you think you use in a single transaction? 1: 26%; 2: 62%; 3: 12%; 4 or more: 0%.
• Solutions that work across solutions often only operate in their own environment. Criteo exact match technology and relationships with service providers from Facebook to Google mean that it can recognise the consumer as one person, wherever they are.
• Personalising marketing is also important. The customer experience should work on each device, while remaining personalised.
• It's a cross device world.
• The path to purchase is no longer linear: complexity is the new reality.
• Personalising marketing is important in order to have one-to-one relationships. That's particularly true on digital.
• Connect with people and not devices.The webinar was followed by a Q&A session, in which questions covered future development roadmaps, the importance of viewing the customer as an individual, social media, and how customer behaviour differs in Asia. To view the webinar for yourself, see the slides and click here.