In a recent Internet Retailing webinar, John Watton, senior director, marketing EMEA at Silverpop, talked through practical approaches to behavioural marketing with the aim of delivering personalised multichannel email communications. Below, we summarise the subject areas covered through a series of bulletpoints.
• Marketing practice is ten years behind marketing vision.
• But when it’s at its best, it provides a unique, one-to-one relationship, boosting sales significantly.
‘Bob’ the wine merchant and the personalised service he gives.
Apple, the plethora of information it holds on customers – and the back-to-school promotions it offers middle-aged marketing managers.
• Where are you on the marketing journey from broadcast to targeting, segmenting and personalising? POLL
Results: broadcast 9%, targeting 50%, segmenting 32% and personalising 9%.
• Most are still in the targeting segmentation area, grouping audiences by demographic information – but this approach is failing: a successful email campaign would be likely to see 3% clickthroughs.
• The aim is to extend traditional segmentation by profile, by preference – and by ‘now’, in order to shrink segments, with an ultimate goal of segments of one.
• “The biggest win we could all have is tailoring our marketing by behaviour,” John Watton, Silverpop.
• Which behaviours to track? Demographics, email behaviour, relational data, web behaviour, off-line behaviour.
• What behaviours do you track today (and do something with)? POLL
Results (option to choose more than one): Demographics 80%, email 80%, relational (CRM/loyalty) 45%, offline (call centre/in-store/events) 25%.
• What data leads to the single view of a customer? Social, website, email, location, bricks and mortar point of sale, CRM – all need to be brought into a single behavioural database.
• Outputs from the database include email, website, SMS, social, direct mail, call, and they also feed into the web store, mail order, call centre and events.
• The role of email in marketing.
• Examples: Freemans Grattan Holdings.
• How do you get from where we are today? Steps to take, from choosing the right platform to automating emails.To hear the webinar for yourself, to view the accompanying slides and hear the question and answer session, visit the Silverpop webinar page.
For details of our other webinars, visit our webinars page.