Close this search box.

DPD sees 15% efficiency boost from address mapping tech


DPD has demonstrated a 15% efficiency gain on a delivery route after using the what3words address mapping system in one of its van.
The trial compared the time to complete a 50-stop delivery route around the city of Nagold in Germany of two Mercedes-Benz Sprinters, one of which had the what3words address solution integrated into its on-board computer.

The driver navigated using what3words, which divides the world into a grid of 3m squares, each of which can be identified by a unique combination of three words.

The test also included the ability to remotely send what3words location to the vehicle via push notifications.

The main (80%) efficiency gain came from the driver being guided to a clear and accurate predefined stopping point, ensuring that they minimised the distance they had to walk. The remaining 20% came from having a precise point to handover the parcel.

Thomas Steverding, senior group manager, OPS process and development at DPD Germany, said: “We are always looking for new ways and means of supporting our drivers in their tasks and increasing the efficiency of our processes.

“When we became aware of what3words we wanted to find out whether we could benefit from more precise localisation of the delivery targets using the 3-word address.”

Chris Sheldrick, CEO of what3words, said: “Street addresses for large sites like factories or exhibition halls rarely point to the delivery entrance, so drivers waste time looking for the right drop-off locations.

“This is frustrating for drivers and adds up to time and fuel inefficiencies for the company, as well as a poor experience for customers who might have late or missed deliveries. what3words’ precise addressing system helps logistics drivers who are unfamiliar with their delivery area to reduce time spent looking for exact delivery points and, with this particular test, it also gave them the exact parking spot closest to the delivery entrance as well, which is really crucial for last-mile deliveries that are completed on foot.“

Read More

Register for Newsletter

Group 4 Copy 3Created with Sketch.

Receive 3 newsletters per week

Group 3Created with Sketch.

Gain access to all Top500 research

Group 4Created with Sketch.

Personalise your experience on