Download the Benelux 2022 Ecommerce Region Report, an in-depth analysis of arguably one of Europe’s most significant markets because of the large retailers and market as well as the political and economic cooperation between Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
The report examines how the Benelux Union is an exemplar of how a single market can work. It is within this context that the RetailX research team has analysed the region, investigating what retail without borders means for domestic and international brands and retailers, and for consumers. None of the countries holds significant barriers to entry for international businesses and the region is keen to be seen as an entry point for wider expansion in Europe.
Benelux 2022 explores the similarities and disparities between the individual countries of Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands with specific features on cross-border trade, sustainability, payments and the final mile.
Throughout the report we examine how the region’s customers’ shop online, the methods they use to pay, expectations around delivery, returns and engagement all differ but none of these unique behaviours is insurmountable for ecommerce players ready to investigate the market further
Themes examined in the report:
- Regional profile of Benelux – A political union with a single internal market means high GDP per capita
- Market context – Early internet adoption results in a region with high internet usage and mature ecommerce markets
- Which products are bought most – Consumers spend the most online with fashion retailers but the product category in second place differs between countries
- Cross-border trade – Shopping across borders appears to be second nature for online shoppers in Luxembourg and Belgium
- Sustainability – Government, retailers and consumers are working towards a carbon-neutral Europe
- How are customers paying? – E-wallets continue to gain share of ecommerce payments as consumer preferences for traditional methods declines
- The final mile – Competition is leading to cooperation between carriers and retailers and innovation in sustainability
Company spotlight: Amazon, Bol.com and Kruidvat