Close this search box.

Amazon linked to potential Lovefilm acquisition

This is an archived article - we have removed images and other assets but have left the text unchanged for your reference

Rumours that Amazon is to buy Lovefilm have resurfaced at the beginning of 2011. has been linked with a potential bid to take a 100% stake in the UK DVD and games rental service. Amazon already owns 42% of Lovefilm, which it acquired in 2008 and is now reported to be in talks to buy the remaining 58%, according to the Sunday Times, cited in sister paper the New York Post.

It’s expected that a deal would take place within coming months.

This is not the first time that rumours have emerged about a possible deal. In September there was similar speculation, yet to come to fruition. This morning Lovefilm said it did not comment on rumour or speculation. Amazon was not available for comment this morning.

Lovefilm, which currently has more than 1.4m members, operates in the UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Germany, offering a choice of 70,000 DVD, Blu Ray and gaming titles to rent or download.

Read More

Register for Newsletter

Group 4 Copy 3Created with Sketch.

Receive 3 newsletters per week

Group 3Created with Sketch.

Gain access to all Top500 research

Group 4Created with Sketch.

Personalise your experience on