Our research covered seven Performance Dimensions:
- FOOTPRINT EEA: retail turnover, ecommerce turnover, web reach and store estate of retail businesses give the ‘heft’ and a preliminary rank. We then modify and weight that analysis through consideration of the following Dimensions:
- STRATEGY & INNOVATION: the extent to which the retailer is adapting for growth, international commerce and customer responsiveness
- THE CUSTOMER: measuring the experience from the customer’s point of view
- OPERATIONS & LOGISTICS: delivery, returns, collections
- MERCHANDISING: displaying and describing
- BRAND ENGAGEMENT: making their brands familiar to the customer and connecting with them
- MOBILE & CROSS-CHANNEL: beyond single ecommerce or store channels
We’ve ranked the Europe Top500 in statistically similar groups. Elite retailers have performed at an exceptional level across all Dimensions, statistically separate from the subsequent clusters. In 2019 these retailers are Carrefour, H&M, IKEA, Marks & Spencer, Tesco and Zara.
Our congratulations to new entrants Carrefour and Marks & Spencer, and to H&M, IKEA, Tesco and Zara for retaining their positions. In particular, we would call attention to H&M and Zara, which have been classified as Elite retailers in the RXEU Top500 for four successive years.
Together with Leading retailers, these retailers, combining both size and capability, represent the leading edge of European multichannel retail.
Top50 retailers bring us to the 50-retailer point and represent the current standard of European best practice in ecommerce and multichannel retailing, exemplifying RetailCraft at its best.
Between the Top100 and the Top500, retailers are grouped in a way that expresses their measured performance in a way that goes beyond their variation in size, reach and turnover. Throughout the year ahead, we will be continuing our testing and measurement of the whole group, with our findings contributing to the 2019 ranking.
Our current system started with the IRUK (now RXUK) Top500 in 2015. Since then, we have steadily developed our research methods and metrics. The criteria regarded as cutting edge this year will necessarily differ from those of last year, since many onetime innovations have now moved firmly into the mainstream.